Thursday, February 18, 2010

The beginnings of my abuela's Cuban chicken.

Saute one thinly sliced yellow onion, 2 bay leaves in about a cup of lime juice (fresh is best), 3/4 cup orange juice, and 1 cup of chicken stalk. Saute until the juices thicken up but don't let the onion become too transparent; about 15 mins or so.

Season three skin on, bone in chicken breasts with kosher or sea salt and then pepper. My abuela would rub in on top of the skin and under the skin of the breasts.

Brown chicken in Dutch oven with a drizzle of olive oil (though she never used olive oil, ha!). Brown on all sides till golden brown. I love it when my chicken gets glossy with pepper!

Transfer all juices to Dutch oven with chicken and cook on medium-low for about two hours or so. The thing with cooking, at least for me, I always go back to check on how things are going so that I don't over cook the meat. I rarely measure either so from time-to-time, the juices may evaporate and that's not good for the meat!

I serve this chicken with a saffron rice though my abuela would serve it with white rice and black beans (what Cuban wouldn't?).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment